Michiganders for Shelter Pets NEEDS YOU! Are you pro-active and want to do your part and a little extra? WE LOVE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO JUMP IN AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN! Here are a few things you can do on your own to help stop gassing and ban pound seizure in our Michigan shelters.
- COLLECT SIGNATURES – we need every keep every person interested in these bills updated as events change. Carry a petition in your car and get people to sign as find people with that interest. Or take one to your next adoption event and get interested parties to sign! CLICK HERE (8 1/2 x 11″ paper) or CLICK HERE (legal sized paper). There is a fax # on the forms and email address. If you need to snail mail, please contact us through the CONTACT page on this website.
- GET YOUR VETERINARIANS ENDORSEMENT – your veterinarians endorsement can really help the cause more than you know!!! WE NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS! Please speak to your vet about supporting these important bills! CLICK HERE for the endorsement form. Be sure to print off the fact sheets for each bill (You will find them here: Koda’s Law & Grant’s Bill). That way you can supply your veterinarian the information they need to make an informed decision.
- GET MICHIGAN BUSINESS ENDORSEMENTS – Please speak to your local Michigan businesses about supporting these important bills! CLICK HERE for the endorsement form. Be sure to print off the fact sheets for each bill (You will find them here: Koda’s Law & Grant’s Bill). You want to supply people with information so that they are making informed decisions.
- WATCH FOR OUR ACTION ALERTS AND ACT– Action alerts will be posted on our main page. You may think you are being asked to do the same thing over and over. But in fact, for a bill to become law it will go through many different committees before it becomes law. Each committee will need to know how important this pending legislation is – be sure to let them know!
- DISTRIBUTE FLYERS – hand THESE 1/2 PAGE FLYERS out at your office, at your local pet store, at your vets office – wherever they will let you! Please ask for permission first from owners.
- WRITE IN TO YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER – submit a letter or op-ed to your local newspaper about gas chamber euthanasia and/or Class B dealer pound seizure in Michigan shelters. For tips, EMAIL US and we can give you some great hints to make sure your letter makes it to print! Or read TIPS ON WRITING LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
- SPEAK TO YOUR LEGISLATORS – Find out who your legislator is and go speak to them in person. Nothing makes a bigger impact than that. It sounds like a daunting task, but your legislators are here to listen to their constituents. Read DO’S AND DON’TS OF LOBBYING to help prepare yourself for your meeting. Are you unsure on where to even start? Read MEETING WITH YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS to get started!
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS: